Merle Haggard Continues ‘Working in Tennessee’
Country legend Merle Haggard is set to release a new album, 'Working in Tennessee,' on October 4. The disc is his second offering under the Vanguard Records label.
Despite his 2008 lung cancer diagnosis, with part of his lung being removed, the 74-year-old hasn't lost his voice. "I'm swinging back in full throttle right now," he insists. "Music keeps me alive. It makes me breathe better ... It's funny, but I feel better when I come off a tour than when I start out."
The singer-songwriter penned nine of the 11 tracks on the collection. Merle made the album a family affair, inviting wife Theresa to provide vocals on the Johnny Cash and June Carter Cash classic hit, 'Jackson.' Son Ben Haggard also joins his father and Willie Nelson on an updated version of Merle's 'Workin' Man Blues.'
'Working in Tennessee' Track Listing
1. 'Working in Tennessee' (Merle Haggard)
2. 'Down on the Houseboat' (Merle Haggard, Theresa Haggard, Doug Colosio)
3. 'Cocaine Blues' (TJ Arnall)
4. 'What I Hate' (Merle Haggard)
5. 'Sometimes I Dream' (Merle Haggard, Jenessa Haggard)
6. 'Under the Bridge' (Merle Haggard, Theresa Haggard)
7. 'Too Much Boogie Woogie' (Merle Haggard)
8. 'Truck Driver's Blues' (Merle Haggard, Tim Howard)
9. 'Laugh It Off' (Merle Haggard, Theresa Haggard, Doug Colosio)
10. 'Working Man Blues' (Merle Haggard)
11. 'Jackson' (Billy Edd Wheeler, Gaby Rodgers)
Click here to view Merle's upcoming tour schedule.