Brad Paisley, Dolly Parton and More Contribute to 1927 Bristol Sessions Tribute Album
Brad Paisley and Dolly Parton are just two in a large list of county and bluegrass icons lending their talents to Orthophonic Joy: The 1927 Bristol Sessions Revisited, which pays tribute to the legendary series of recordings.
The recording sessions, held in July and August of 1927 in Bristol, Tenn., are credited with bringing country music to the masses, helping the Carter Family, Jimmie Rodgers and others reach stardom. Johnny Cash famously called the recordings "the single most important event in the history of country music,” and Orthophonic Joy aims to re-imagine those days in the Appalachian railroad town on the Tennessee-Virginia border.
“My heart goes back to this," Parton says of the recordings in the video above. "It’s kind of in my Smoky Mountain DNA.”
Parton and Paisley are joined on the project by a number of country's biggest names, including Ashley Monroe, Emmylous Harris, Marty Stuart, Sheryl Crow, Steve Martin & the Steep Canyon Rangers, Vince Gill, Carl Jackson, Corbin Hayslett, Doyle Lawson & Quicksilver, Jesse McReynolds, Keb' Mo', Larry Cordle & the Virginia Luthiers, the Chuck Wagon Gang, the Church Sisters, the Shotgun Rubies and Glen Campbell's children, Ashley and Shannon Campbell.
“I just think it’s important to know your history. Period,” Gill says. “To me, they’re so beautiful because one is so steeped in church, and one is so steeped in hard times. If that doesn’t epitomize what our country has been and kind of will always be, then ..."
Orthophonic Joy was produced by Grammy winner Carl Jackson and features narration from Eddie Stubbs between the tracks. The two-disc album is available now at BirthplaceOfCountryMusic.org.
Orthophonic Joy: The 1927 Bristol Sessions Revisited Track Listing:
1. "I'm Redeemed" (Doyle Lawson & Quicksilver)
2. "Bury Me Beneath The Willow" (Emmylou Harris)
3. "Black Eyed Susie" (Marty Stuart)
4. "When They Ring Those Golden Bells" (Dolly Parton)
5. "The Storms Are on the Ocean" (Ashley Monroe)
6. "I am Resolved" (Shotgun Rubies)
7. "Sweet Heaven When I Die" (Steve Martin & the Steep Canyon Rangers)
8. "The Soldier's Sweetheart" (Vince Gill)
9."To the Work" (Keb' Mo')
1. "Where We'll Never Grow Old" (Church Sisters)
2. "Darling Cora" (Corbin Hayslett)
3. "In the Pines" (Brad Paisley & Carl Jackson)
4. "The Wreck of the Virginian" (Ashley & Shannon Campbell)
5. "Pretty Polly" (Carl Jackson)
6. "The Wandering Boy" (Sheryl Crow)
7. "Train on the Island" (Larry Cordle & the Virginia Luthiers)
8. "Johnny Goodwin / The Girl I Left Behind" (Jesse McReynolds & Carl Jackson)
9. "Shall We Gather at the River" (Chuck Wagon Gang & the Orthophonic Choir)