Taylor Swift Wins Three-Year Restraining Order
According to court documents, Sweet sent multiple e-mails, letters and messages to the 24-year-old, visited her homes in Beverly Hills and Nashville, and also threatened her family members.
“If anyone in Taylor Swift’s family gets killed, it is not my fault," one message said.
Swift, who did not attend the court proceedings on Tuesday (March 25), wrote in a sworn declaration that she felt threatened by Sweet's actions.
"Mr. Sweet's course of conduct, including threats to harm my family, are seriously alarming and harassing and are extremely distressing to me and my family," she said.
The restraining order, which expires in 2017, extends to Swift's parents, her own homes, and places of work in Los Angeles and Nashville.
The new restraining order continues what was put in place in 2012, when Swift first asked for legal help in keeping Sweet away from her, after his threats extended to the Secretary of State.
“Dearest Taylor, I’ll kill any man who gets in the way of our marriage," Sweet wrote. "Message to John Kerry, Secretary of State. Message from YOUR Presidential Candidate.”
It seems it's getting harder and harder for the singer-songwriter to find a place she feels safe. Earlier this week, Swift also won a no contact order against Daniel Cole, who is accused of trespassing at her home in Rhode Island, after he allegedly blocked the driveway to her sprawling estate on Dec. 9, 2013. He returned on Dec. 21, when he struggled with police after refusing to leave. Cole pleaded not guilty.
The Pennsylvania native says she refuses to live in fear of those who seem intent on harming her.
“There are a lot of them [stalkers]. I just try to be safe and be conscious of people around me," she says. "It’s something you just have to deal with. It’s the price you pay for getting to do what you love. You can let it take over your life and make you fearful all the time, or you can live your life in spite of it.”