Shovels & Rope Cover Nine Inch Nails, Guns N’ Roses and More on ‘Busted Jukebox Vol. 1′
The 10-track project, which hit stores in late November, features Shovels & Rope's Cary Ann Hearst and Michael Trent, along with artists including Shakey Graves, Butch Walker, the Milk Carton Kids, the Preservation Hall Jazz Band and more, covering everything from Lou Reed's "Perfect Day" to Nine Inch Nails' "Last." Their collaboration with the Milk Carton Kids on GNR's "Patience" was especially monumental, as the two groups have been industry friends for years.
"When we were coming up with the idea for this record, we had some very specific ideas of who we wanted to guest on what songs. And then we also had two columns on a page: One was a list of artists who we really wanted to get on here (and who might actually consider it), and the other was a list of songs that we thought would be fun to try for this project. This one came about via those columns," Trent and Hearst tell NPR of the song. "'The Milk Carton Kids + Shovels & Rope + Guns N' Roses' was the subject line of the email we sent over to those guys — I know, no need to read the rest, right? — and they were kind enough to get on board without really knowing how it was gonna end up sounding. The result is a kind of duo-duet, with them taking a verse and chorus and us taking a verse and chorus, and then we all sing together at the end ... Spoiler alert: We do the ending."
The Milk Carton Kids' Joey Ryan tells Rolling Stone Country, "Michael and Cary Ann know we'll do whatever they ask us to. Musically speaking. After being friends for years, it was great to discover that our four voices — which are so different from each other — work together so nicely."
Hearst and Trent are well-known do-it-yourselfers, self-producing their albums in their South Carolina studio and playing every instrument themselves. This time around, however, the duo skipped recording at their home studio and instead opted to record in locations around the world, including spaces in New Orleans, La., and Perth, Australia.
Shovels & Rope, Busted Jukebox Vol. 1 Track Listing:
1. "Unknown Legend" (Neil Young) -- with Shakey Graves
2. "Bullet Belt" (Butch Walker) -- with Butch Walker
3. "(What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love and Understanding" (Nick Lowe) -- with Lucius
4. "Patience" (Guns N' Roses) -- with the Milk Carton Kids
5. "Boys Can Never Tell" (J Roddy Walston & the Business) -- with J Roddy Walston
6. "Nothing Takes the Place of You" (Toussaint McCall) -- with JD McPherson
7. "Last" (Nine Inch Nails) -- with Caroline Rose
8. "Strangers" (the Kinks) -- with In-Laws
9. "Perfect Day" (Lou Reed) -- with the Preservation Hall Jazz Band
10. "Leaving Louisiana in the Broad Daylight" (Emmylou Harris)
Top 10 Americana, Alt-Country and Folk Albums of 2015