Sara Evans Files Temporary Restraining Order Against Ex-Husband
In a four-year-old case of he-said-she-said, the Sara Evans divorce drama took an ugly turn last week.
Sara filed a temporary restraining order against ex-husband Craig Schelske on Feb. 24 in Williamson County, Tenn. According to the Associated Press (via Nashville's Tennessean newspaper), the documents say Schelske is not allowed to make any derogatory statements about the singer to the media or make allegations about what led to their divorce. CMT reports that during a Feb. 25 interview on the nationally syndicated radio program, 'The Steve Gill Show,' Schelske discussed allegations Sara's attorneys have made about him and his personal life. During divorce proceedings the couple both accused each other of having extramarital affairs.
The couple's divorce was finalized in 2007 and Sara married football player Jay Barker in 2008. In 2009, Schelske aligned himself with FamiliesUnite.org to clear his name of allegations including sexual misbehavior saying he was fighting this fight because of the damage to his political career (he was a 2002 Congressional candidate from Oregon's 5th District) and to his reputation as a father.
At that same time, Families Unite spokesperson William Fain said, "What we have is a case where the court allowed the attorneys to completely destroy a father." Fain added that since Sara had been marketed as "the girl next door," she simply couldn't file for divorce without a reason. In this case, he said, "The goal seems to have been to protect Sara. ... They had to make Craig look so bad to the 'fans' that they understood she 'had to leave' for the good of the children.'"
A hearing has been set for March 15 in Williamson County Chancery Court in Franklin, Tenn.