Merle Haggard Honored With Tribute Album, Crystal Milestone Award
April is going to be a big month for Merle Haggard. The country music legend will be honored on May 1 with a special album, ‘Working Man’s Poet: A Tribute to Merle Haggard’ by Broken Bow Records, in honor of his 50-year career.
In addition, the Hag will be given the Crystal Milestone Award during the 2014 ACM Awards on April 6. The award, which has previously been given to Taylor Swift, Jason Aldean and Garth Brooks, recognizes an artist or industry leader who has accomplished a remarkable achievement in the music industry.
The California native became the first recipient of the ACM Entertainer of the Year Award in 1970. Haggard’s win that evening also marked the Academy’s first Triple Crown win, since the ‘The Fightin’ Side of Me’ singer also took home the Most Promising Male Vocalist of the Year Award in 1965, and the first of six Male Vocalist of the Year Awards in 1966.
Luke Bryan, Brooks, Dierks Bentley, Jake Owen, Toby Keith and Thompson Square are just a few of the artists who have performed one of the Country Music Hall of Fame member’s biggest hits for the upcoming tribute CD.
“He’s one of the purest voices ever in country music,” Bryan tells USA Today. “He’s had such an extraordinary life, so many things to draw from for songs. It’s amazing just how many things that guy has been through and seen through the years.”
The 49th annual ACM Awards will air live from Las Vegas on Sunday, April 6, at 8PM ET on CBS.
‘Working Man’s Poet: A Tribute to Merle Haggard’ Track Listing:
1.’Misery and Gin,’ Randy Houser
2. ‘Footlights,’ Joe Nichols
3. ‘Going Where the Lonely Go,’ Jason Aldean
4. ‘Today I Started Loving You Again,’ Kristy Lee Cook
5. ‘Carolyn,’ Toby Keith
6. ‘Pancho and Lefty,’ Luke Bryan and Dierks Bentley
7. ‘Tonight the Bottle Let Me Down,’ Garth Brooks (Walmart edition only)
8. ‘You Take Me for Granted,’ Thompson Square
9. ‘Mama Tried,’ Ben Haggard
10. ‘That’s the Way Love Goes,’ Dustin Lynch
11. ‘Make Up and Faded Blue Jeans,’ Jake Owen
12. ‘I’m a Lonesome Fugitive,’ James Wesley
13. ‘Workin’ Man Blues,’ Parmalee
14. ‘Are the Good Times Really Over,’ Jason Aldean
15. ‘Let’s Chase Each Other Around the Room,’ Thompson Square
16. ‘I Think I’ll Just Stay Here and Drink,’ Dustin Lynch
17. ‘The Fightin’ Side of Me,’ James Wesley
18. ‘My Favorite Memory,’ Joe Nichols
19. ‘Ramblin’ Fever,’ Randy Houser
20. ‘Sing Me Back Home,’ Ben Haggard