10 Things You Might Not Know About ‘The Voice’ Coach and Country Megastar Blake Shelton
He’s the comic relief on The Voice, and if you follow him on Twitter, you know that he’s almost as much of a comedian as he is a recording artist. Blake Shelton has been charming fans with his soulful voice and witty banter since 2001.
The five-time Grammy nominee has enjoyed a steady climb to the platinum-selling, award-winning top, meeting the love of his life — fellow country superstar Miranda Lambert, whom Shelton married on May 14, 2011 — along the way. But those are all facts you probably already know; below are 10 more that you may not.
1. Shelton used to have somewhat of a mullet. He sported long hair and a cowboy hat for the first few years of his career.
“I know it looks like crap, but it is just more fun to me to irritate people than cut my hair to satisfy them,” Shelton joked with CMT back in 2003.
A few years later, he chopped his curly locks and lost the hat, going clean-cut for the 2007 album Pure BS.
2. In 2007, the singer caught an intruder in his uncle’s house and detained the drunken man himself until police arrived. The man was charged with first-degree burglary and public intoxication. Shelton’s mom jokes that she was bummed the police didn’t ask for his autograph.
3. Lambert secretly put Michael Buble‘s “Home” on his iPod, otherwise he would’ve never heard it nor chosen to cover it. Shelton’s cover of the song resulted in his fourth No. 1 single, and the tune catapulted Pure BS to platinum sales.
“She thinks because she likes it, I should like it,” Shelton says of his wife’s musical tastes. “If you look at my iPod now, there’s other things on it, like Coldplay, the Gorillaz and other crap that I’ve never heard of. That shows you the power of “Home,” because most of that stuff, I won’t even give it a chance.”
4. Shelton is one of the few country stars who does not live in Nashville. He and Lambert live on a farm in Tishomingo, Okla., with their dogs (sadly, none of them are named “Ol’ Red”) and a menagerie of other animals.
5. Shelton appeared on E!’s Chelsea Lately four times, which is the most visits to the late-night chat fest by any country artist. “She once asked me which Golden Girl I would most like to have sex with,” he tells The Boot of the most random question asked of him by host Chelsea Handler.
6. Shelton’s very first single, “Austin,” went all the way to No. 1 and stayed there for a whopping five weeks. As of May 2015, he has a total of 19 No. 1 singles and holds the record for the most consecutive No. 1 songs. Shelton earned his 14th consecutive No. 1 single in March 2015, with “Lonely Tonight.”
7. He gets mistaken for Joe Nichols … a lot. Cutting Nichols’ “Who Are You When I’m Not Looking” wasn’t even the start of it.
“The last tweet I got that annoyed me was from somebody at a show who was mad at me for not singing “Brokenheartsville” … by Joe Nichols,” Shelton tells The Boot. “I still get that to this day.”
8. Shelton’s beloved mom Dorothy owns a beauty salon in his small hometown of Ada, Okla. (population: around 17,000). His dad Dick was a car dealer, and his older sister Endy is a jewelry designer (and Endy Designs features necklaces inspired by Lambert!).
9. Buying his wife’s engagement ring was a very quick process for Shelton. “I was lucky enough to find the ring at the first place I went to!” he tells The Boot. Mrs. Shelton’s left-hand bling is a diamond-and-platinum stunner; its accompanying wedding band is a five-carat white diamond “Eternity” ring by Johnathon Arndt.
10. The Voice isn’t Shelton’s first reality TV competition gig. He was also a coach on a similar show called Clash of the Choirs, creating a singing team that went up against choirs led by Michael Bolton, Patti LaBelle, Nick Lachey and Kelly Rowland. (Team Lachey took home the grand prize, with Shelton’s crew placing third.) Shelton was also a judge on the 2007 season of Nashville Star — the same show that launched Lambert’s career in 2003.
This list was originally compiled by Beville Dunkerley, and revised by Christina Vinson.
How Well Do You Know Blake Shelton?
Country’s Greatest Love Stories: Blake Shelton + Miranda Lambert