10 Things You Didn’t Know About ‘The Voice’ Coach and Country Megastar Blake Shelton
He’s the comic relief on ‘The Voice,’ and if you follow him on Twitter, you know that he’s almost as much of a comedian as he is a recording artist. Blake Shelton has been charming fans with his soulful voice and witty banter for over a decade. The reigning CMA Male Vocalist of the Year has enjoyed a steady climb to the platinum-selling, award-winning top, meeting the love of his life along the way — fellow country superstar Miranda Lambert, whom he married on May 14, 2011. All facts you probably already know, so The Boot compiled these ten things that may surprise you about Blake Shelton.
10. ‘The Voice’ isn’t Blake’s first reality TV competition gig. He was also a coach on a similar show called ‘Clash of the Choirs,’ creating a singing team that went up against choirs led by Michael Bolton, Patti LaBelle, Nick Lachey and Kelly Rowland. (Team Lachey took home the grand prize, with Blake’s crew placing third.) Blake was also a judge on the 2007 season of ‘Nashville Star’ — the same show that launched Miranda’s career in 2003.
9. Buying Miranda’s engagement ring was a very quick process for Blake. “I was lucky enough to find the ring at the first place I went to!” he tells The Boot. Mrs. Shelton’s left hand bling is a diamond and platinum stunner. (See it up close here.) Its accompanying wedding band is a five-carat white diamond “Eternity” ring by Johnathon Arndt.
8. Blake’s beloved mom, Dorothy, owns a beauty salon in his small hometown of Ada, Okla., population around 17,000. His dad, Dick, is a car dealer, and older sister, Endy, is a jewelry designer. (Endy Designs features necklaces inspired by Miranda!)
7. Blake gets mistaken for Joe Nichols … a lot. Cutting Joe’s ‘Who Are You When I’m Not Looking’ wasn’t even the start of it. “The last tweet I got that annoyed me was from somebody at a show who was mad at me for not singing ‘Brokenheartsville’ … by Joe Nichols,” Blake tells The Boot. “I still get that to this day.”
6. Blake’s very first single, ‘Austin,’ went all the way to No. 1 and stayed there a whopping five weeks. Since then, he’s charted seven more No. 1 songs, the latest being ‘Who Are You When I’m Not Looking.’
5. Blake has appeared on E!’s ‘Chelsea Lately’ four times, which is the most visits to the late-night chat fest by any country artist. “She once asked me which ‘Golden Girl’ I would most like to have sex with,” Blake tells The Boot of the most random question asked of him by the comedienne.
4. Blake is one of the few country stars who does not live in Nashville. He and Miranda live on a farm in Oklahoma with their seven dogs whom Miranda jokes are “great birth control.” (Sadly, none of the dogs are named ‘Ol’ Red.’)
1. Blake used to have somewhat of a mullet. He sported long hair and a cowboy hat for the first few years of his career. “I know it looks like crap, but it is just more fun to me to irritate people than cut my hair to satisfy them,” he joked with CMT back in 2003. Three years later, he chopped his curly locks and lost the hat, going clean-cut for the 2006 album, ‘Pure B.S.’