Oak Ridge Boys + More Grace Allman Brothers Tribute
The Oak Ridge Boys join an all-star cast in honoring the Allman Brothers Band in a new album, 'Midnight Rider - A Tribute to the Allman Brothers Band,' which was released last week on Cleopatra Records. The group performed the Allman Brothers' classic hit, 'Ramblin' Man,' on the 12-song record.
“‘Ramblin’ Man’ is the national anthem of Southern rock & roll, so it is a huge honor to be asked to be a part of this tribute," Oak Ridge Boys lead singer Duane Allen says.
Other artists who contributed to the project include Leon Russell, the Artimus Pyle Band, Molly Hatchet, Steve Morse and Tinsley Ellis, among others.
“[The Allman Brothers are] one of a handful of musical acts, along with Ray Charles and Willie Nelson, that are considered to be a genre unto themselves," Ellis says. "It is a great honor to be among the other stellar acts paying tribute to such a legendary and influential American band.”
“The Allman Brothers were a central part of my roots,” Morse adds. “Living in Georgia much of my life, they were the local legends that everybody loved. They had the swing, the inventive double guitar parts, the ability to jam just long enough to keep the audience, and that golden voice of Greg’s ... I’ve been lucky enough to sit in with many of the members at various times, and we have shared a lot of common ground. I’m still a fan!”
See a track listing for 'Midnight Rider - A Tribute to the Allman Brothers Band' below, and purchase the album here.
'Midnight Rider - A Tribute to the Allman Brothers Band' Track Listing:
1. 'Midnight Rider' - Pat Travers
2. 'Ramblin’ Man' - Oak Ridge Boys, Tinsley Ellis & Kevin McKendree
3. 'Melissa' - Molly Hatchet
4. 'Blue Sky' - Artimus Pyle Band
5. 'Whipping Post' - Jimmy Hall & Steve Morse
6. 'Jessica' - Roy Rogers, John Wesley & Jim Eshelman
7. 'One Way Out' - Robben Ford & Martin Gerschwitz
8. 'Soulshine' - Debbie Davies & Melvin Seals
9. 'Statesboro Blues' - Eli Cook
10. 'In Memory of Elizabeth Reed' - Eric Gales
11. 'Southbound' - Commander Cody & Sonny Landreth
12. 'I’m No Angel' (Greg Allman solo) - Leon Russell, Reese Wynans & Ronnie Earl