Album of the Month (November 2015): Chris Young, ‘I’m Comin’ Over’
I'm Comin' Over will be Young's fifth studio album and the follow-up record to 2013's A.M. All of his discs, including his new project, have been released with RCA Nashville. The singer is acting as a co-producer on the album as well.
“I think it’s been one of my favorite things about making this record, is just being so hands-on and being there for every single thing that went down, from the very start of it all the way down to making mix notes,” he says.
""I’m Comin’ Over” describes that feeling when you can’t get someone off your mind, and you just have to be with them no matter the consequences,” Young explains of the song, which he wrote with Corey Crowder and Josh Hoge. “It’s my first new music in almost three years, and I’m really excited to share it with my fans.”
Young also felt that "I'm Comin' Over" was "the perfect way to kind of bridge the gap between what I’d done sonically on prior records and what we’ve done on this."
"I thought it played real well and it balanced real well [with] what we were trying to evolve my sound as," Young tells The Boot, "and I think anybody that’s heard anything prior to this would go, ‘Oh, that sounds like something that he would do.’”
“… We just tried to do what felt right on this, and I don’t think it was doing stuff different just for the sake of being different,” Young explains. “It’s just naturally where this album grew into and where we wanted to go with it.”
I'm Comin' Over features 11 tracks, nine of which were co-written by Young. Two of the songs feature fellow country artists Cassadee Pope ("Think of You") and Vince Gill ("Sober Saturday Night"). A radio show that Young played with the 2012 The Voice winner served as the impetus for him asking her to guest on the song, while shared management helped Young get in touch with Gill.
“I was just like, ‘I’ve got to ask her,’ because I love her voice, and she’s a phenomenal singer,” Young tells The Boot of Pope. “And I asked her, and she was like, ‘Absolutely, I’d love to.’ So we got her in the studio and did that.”
As for Gill, "I was like, ‘Man, I love this song,’” Young says, “and it’s this really, really cool ballad.”
Young earned the November 2015 Album of the Month title by receiving more than 52 percent of votes from The Boot's readers. I'm Comin' Over was competing for the honor against new releases from Hunter Hayes, Alan Jackson, Tim McGraw, Old Dominion and the Josh Abbott Band.
I'm Comin' Over is set for release on Nov. 13. Fans can pre-order the disc on Young’s website.
Chris Young, I’m Comin’ Over Track Listing:
1. “Heartbeat” (Chris Young, Corey Crowder, Josh Hoge)
2. “I’m Comin’ Over” (Chris Young, Corey Crowder, Josh Hoge)
3. “Think of You” (duet with Cassadee Pope) (Chris Young, Corey Crowder, Josh Hoge)
4. “You Do the Talkin’” (Cary Barlowe, Corey Crowder, Liz Rose)
5. “I Know a Guy” (Benjy Davis, Brett Tyler)
6. “Alone Tonight” (Chris Young, Corey Crowder, Josh Hoge)
7. “Sunshine Overtime” (Chris Young, Corey Crowder, Jeremy Stover)
8. “Sober Saturday Night” (feat. Vince Gill) (Chris Young, Brad Warren, Brett Warren)
9. “Underdogs” (Chris Young, Corey Crowder, Josh Hoge)
10. “Callin’ My Name” (Chris Young, Corey Crowder, Jonathan Singleton)
11. “What If I Stay” (Chris Young, Johnny Bulford, Josh Hoge)
See Pictures From Chris Young's I'm Comin' Over World Tour Stop in Nashville
How Well Do You REALLY Know Chris Young?